- 2 x 400g tina large (Greek or Spanish) white beans
- 1 cup olives. I used our home pickled green olives from Piedmont.
- 1 each colour Different colour peppers, sliced length ways in wide strips, around 1.5cm width
- 1 Orange, zest and chopped fruit
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes, plum or chopped
- 1 or 2 each of each Carrots, fennel, courgettes chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Chopped onions
- generous dessert spoonful Fennel seeds and thyme
- teaspoon chilli flakes
- according to taste olive oil
- 1/2 bottle red wine
Cook all the ingredients (apart from the beans) for a long time over a medium to low heat to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken, the longer the better - so I usually make this in a large batch. Add more wine, and for a more unctuous flavour, more olive oil, as it thickens up and reduces. Add the beans at the end.